Here's a recipe for Ukrainian borscht with pork:
- 1 lb pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 4 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken or beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream and chopped fresh dill for serving
In a large pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add pork cubes and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add grated beets, grated carrots, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beets release their juice and the mixture becomes fragrant, about 10-15 minutes.
Add diced potatoes, sliced cabbage, bay leaf, white vinegar, sugar, and chicken or beef broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors are well combined.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh dill.
Enjoy your delicious Ukrainian borscht with pork!
You must be logged in to post a comment.